Big rig drivers are entrusted with the responsibility of safely transporting large amounts of goods and materials across the country, however, negligent truckers can cause devastating accidents. Negligent truckers can cause significant damage or injury to others due to a variety of factors.
Common Causes of Accidents by Negligent Truckers
There are many reasons negligent truckers can cause accidents, including pressure by their employer to make deliveries faster. Common causes of accidents involving negligent truckers include:
- Fatigue: Truckers may be required to drive long distances with limited breaks, making them susceptible to drowsiness or exhaustion that can cause them to lose focus on the road and potentially lead to an accident.
- Distracted driving: Mobile devices such as cell phones and tablets can be distracting for any driver, but even more so for truckers who have to drive long periods of time.
- Unfamiliarity with route: Truckers may not be familiar with the route they are driving, leading them to make wrong turns or miss traffic signals which can lead to an accident.
- Reckless driving: Speeding, weaving in and out of lanes, and other reckless driving behaviors can increase the likelihood of a trucker causing an accident.
- Overloaded trucks: If a truck is carrying more cargo than it is legally permitted, it may become unbalanced or difficult to maneuver, making it more likely that an accident could occur.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Failure to properly maintain a truck can cause mechanical issues while on the road, such as brake failure or tire blowouts.
- Drug abuse: Operating a large commercial vehicle under the influence of drugs is dangerous for both the trucker and other motorists on the road. However, some truckers use prescription, over-the-counter or illegal drugs to stay alert during a long haul drive.
How an Injury Lawyer Investigates to Determine Fault by a Negligent Trucker
If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a negligent trucker, a qualified personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. The lawyer will investigate the case to determine who is at fault for the accident, and what type of compensation may be available to you. They will examine all relevant evidence such as police reports, witness statements, medical records, and trucking logs to build a strong case on your behalf.
Additionally, they may contact experts or specialists in different fields related to the incident to provide additional insight into what happened. By working with an experienced lawyer that specializes in personal injury cases involving negligent truckers, you can make sure that you are getting the best possible outcome for your situation.
By understanding the common causes of accidents involving negligent truckers and how a personal injury lawyer can help you if you are involved in such an incident, you can make informed decisions about your rights to compensation. It is important that all motorists remain vigilant when driving near large trucks, and understand their legal options if they are ever injured in an accident with one. In these situations, having the right representation on your side can make all the difference in getting the justice and compensation that you deserve.
Olinde Law Firm: Truck Accident Lawyers
Get a free case evaluation from the Olinde Law Firm by calling (800) 587-1889. During your consultation with our legal team, you will be able to ask questions, receive answers, and learn more about your options moving forward. Please feel free to contact us online as well.