Paraquat Poisoning and What You Should Know
Paraquat is an herbicide that many farmers have used on a regular basis as agricultural aid. Little did they know that over time, exposure to paraquat could leave them with serious health problems and even cause their death. Use of paraquat containing herbicides became popular in the 1960s and continues to be in use in the United States, although it has been banned throughout the European Union.
What Kind of Health Problems Does Paraquat Poisoning Cause?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, coming in contact with paraquat, whether by long skin exposure, open cuts or sores, or by ingesting it, can result in damage to many parts of the body.
Long-term exposure can result in:
- Liver, kidney, heart, or lung damage
- Exposure has been linked to Parkinson’s disease
Ingestion can cause:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, dehydration, and lowered blood pressure
- Heart, kidney, and liver failure as well as scarring on the lungs
Ingestion of larger amounts that result in paraquat poisoning causes:
- Heart damage
- Liver and kidney failure
- Respiratory failure
- Lung damage and scarring
- Pulmonary edema
- Esophageal strictures
What Companies Produce Herbicides Containing Paraquat?
The following companies in the United States produce herbicides that contain this dangerous chemical compound, which represents one of the weed killers most widely used in the country. The following companies produce herbicides containing paraquat:
- Chevron Chemical Company
- Helm Agro
- Drexel Chemical Company
- Sinon USA
- Adama Group
- Invictus Crop Care
- United Phosphorus
- Altitude Crop Innovations
Although paraquat is listed as a “restricted use” chemical compound and can only be used by those who are licensed to do so, the effects can affect not only farmers and their workers but neighbors who live near where it is applied.
Can I Recover Damages if I Was Injured by Paraquat?
If you suffered injuries caused by exposure to this dangerous chemical, you may be able to recover compensation. Many of the injuries it causes last for a lifetime and results in high medical costs and the inability to work. The following damages may be recovered with the help of an injury lawyer:
- Current and future medical expenses for hospitalization, surgeries, testing, physician bills, and others can be recovered.
- Wages lost from the inability to work can be recovered, including future wages to retirement age if you become permanently disabled.
- Non-economic damages such as loss of consortium and for your physical, emotional, and psychological pain can be recovered.
- The cost of the funeral and burial services can be recovered if your loved one dies as a result of paraquat poisoning.
A patient’s diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease at an early stage in life is likely to come with significant lifetime costs. Our law firm holds companies and manufacturers liable for the damage caused by dangerous chemicals such as Paraquat. To help you and your family, you need to file a civil lawsuit.
Olinde Law Firm
It is our experience at Olinde Law Firm that assists clients in dealing with large corporations who cause injury to others through defective devices, pharmaceuticals, and drug interactions. Get a free case review by calling (800) 587-1889. We are also available online. Parkinson’s can be caused by Paraquat, so if you used this product and developed the disease or other serious complications, you may be eligible for compensation.