Common New Orleans Car Accidents
Car accidents occur when someone least expects them and cause serious injuries or even fatalities. Although the Big Easy is a wonderful city with great cuisine, attractions and a lively nightlife that draws tourists from all over the world, it has its fair share of injury-causing collisions. When this happens, Olinde Firm – Attorneys at Law is by your side every step of the way to ensure you get the compensation you need and deserve.
Causes of Car Accidents That Occur in and Around New Orleans
New Orleans, just like any other cosmopolitan city around the country, also has drivers who are negligent and cause auto accidents. Whether they are from the area or visitors from elsewhere, they hold the responsibility for the injuries they cause. Knowing some of the reasons traffic accidents happen can help a driver stay safe in the city and enjoy the surrounding area. Some of the major reasons for car accidents include:
- Distracted driving is the number one cause of car accidents in the country. A driver who is texting, chatting on their cell phone, looking at the sights or checking their GPS isn’t paying attention to the surrounding traffic.
- Speeding is another major cause of accidents. Although New Orleans has hefty fines and traffic cameras at intersections, speeding still contributes to many car accidents.
- Drunk and drugged driving is another reason for car accidents. An individual who is intoxicated either by alcohol or drugs shows poor judgment and reduced reflexes as well as vision problems.
- Fatigued drivers cause a number of car accidents, especially during late-night hours. A driver who keeps long or irregular hours, has a medical condition such as sleep apnea or simply stayed up too late the night before can be a danger on the road.
- Reckless drivers in New Orleans are those who run a red light, drive above 25 mph over the speed limit, text while driving, are intoxicated and other forms of negligence. All of these actions constitute the careless operation of a vehicle and can result in a traffic accident.
- Intersection collisions account for more than 50 percent of all traffic accidents. They are caused by making risky turns, running red lights and other errors. In addition, they involve not only motorists but bicycle and motorcycle riders and pedestrians.
Olinde Law Firm
When a negligent motorist causes an accident injury, the at-fault driver can be held responsible for the damages they caused. With the help of an experienced car accident lawyer, such as you will find at Olinde Law, the injured party can recover the cost of all their medical expenses, lost wages, property damage and more. If the individual suffered trauma that leaves them incapacitated, their long-term disability, inability to work and emotional suffering is factored into the recoverable compensation through filing a personal injury claim. Call us at (800) 587-1889 or reach out to us online.