According to NOPD News, the New Orleans Police Department is investigating a fatal car crash that happened on July 13 in the Fifth District. The accident occurred around noon on Monday at the intersection of Elysian Fields Avenue and Dauphine Street. Police responded to an emergency call to find a male victim suffering from accident injuries. The man was sent to a hospital where he died.

Officers discovered that the male victim was traveling in his vehicle on Elysian Fields Avenue when another vehicle traveling eastbound on Dauphine Street collided with the victim’s vehicle. The reason for the fatal car crash is unknown at this time. The victim’s vehicle overturned because of the collision.

The NPOD continues to investigate the cause of the fatal car crash. Anyone with information about the accident is encouraged to reach out to law enforcement officers by calling Crimestoppers or the NOPD.

What Should You Do If You Are Involved in a Hit and Run Accident in New Orleans?

The complete details of the above accident are unknown, but the news report does not describe or release any information about the other vehicle. In some cases, a driver may leave the scene of a car accident before police officers arrive.

Reasons a driver may fail to stop after causing an accident include:
  • The driver had outstanding warrants for his arrest;
  • The person was driving without insurance;
  • The individual was afraid of being charged with vehicular homicide;
  • The driver was drunk or drugged impaired; and,
  • The individual was afraid of being blamed for the accident.

Whatever the reason might have been, it is a crime to leave an accident scene. Louisiana traffic laws require that drivers stop after an accident. Drivers must exchange information or contact the police if anyone sustained injuries or there is property damage. In most cases, it is always best to contact the police after a car accident. A formal, written crash report can be very helpful when you file a car accident claim.

If a driver leaves the scene of an accident, call 911 to request assistance. Try to write down as much information as you recall about the vehicle or the driver while the information is still fresh in your mind. As with any car accident, it is also wise to be seen as soon as possible by a doctor so that you can document your injuries for a personal injury claim.

Who Pays for My Damages After a Hit and Run Accident?

If the driver is identified, you can file a claim against the driver’s insurance coverage for damages and losses. However, the driver may have left the scene because he did not have automobile insurance. If the driver does not have insurance, you could file a personal injury lawsuit for the car accident. Unfortunately, most people who do not have car insurance do not have assets that can be used to pay a personal judgment.

The second option is to file an insurance claim under your uninsured motorist coverage. Your uninsured motorist coverage should compensate you for your damages and losses caused by a hit and run driver. However, filing an insurance claim, even with your insurance provider, can be frustrating. Your insurance company may be unwilling to pay you for your damages. Contacting a New Orleans car accident attorney to discuss your case is strongly recommended.

Contact Our New Orleans Car Accident Attorney for a Free Case Review

If you were injured in a traffic accident, call Attorney Fred Olinde and the legal team at The Olinde Firm at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to schedule a free consultation with one of our car accident attorneys in New Orleans.