New Orleans is known for its parties and Halloween is no exception. Many people will celebrate Halloween by attending one or more parties at bars and private homes. Unfortunately, some people may enjoy one too many alcoholic beverages at a Halloween party. Even a few Halloween drinks could impair your driving. Because Halloween drinks have cute names and are usually sweet, people forget that the drinks may contain a substantial amount of alcohol.
Therefore, if you are going to celebrate Halloween with alcohol, it is important that you take steps to avoid a Halloween DUI accident. A Halloween DUI accident can cause traumatic and life-threatening injuries. What began as a night of Halloween fun can have a tragic ending if you get behind the wheel of a vehicle after consuming alcohol.
Tips to Avoid a Halloween DUI Accident
If you are going to a party on Halloween, keep the following tips in mind to avoid an accident:
- Make sure that you have a designated driver for your group. A designated driver ensures that everyone in the group arrives home safely by staying sober the entire evening.
- If no one is willing to serve as the designated driver, you should consider hiring a private car for your group.
- You can also use public transportation as a safe way to get home.
- For parties at hotels, consider booking a room for the evening so that you only need to go upstairs to your room when the party has ended.
Are You Hosting a Halloween Party in NOLA?
If you are hosting a Halloween party, you need to take steps to ensure your guests do not leave too intoxicated to drive. Some of the ways you can reduce the risk your guests will be involved in a Halloween DUI accident include:
- Consider hiring a professional bartender for your event. Bartenders are trained to spot guests who have had too much to drink.
- Make sure that you have the telephone numbers of several taxi companies for guests who should not be driving home after your party.
- Stop serving alcohol a couple of hours before the end of your party to help guests avoid drinking and immediately driving.
- For guests who cannot drive home, you might want to have a couple of guest rooms ready.
- You may also want to consider hiring a private driver to transport any guests who have too much to drink and drive.
Being Injured in a Halloween DUI Accident
Even though the dangers of drinking and driving are well-known, some people will ignore the danger and get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking too much. If you are injured in a drunk driving accident, you may recover substantial compensation for your injuries. You can receive money for your medical expenses, physical pain, lost wages, permanent impairment, and other damages.