The experienced New Orleans personal injury lawyers of The Olinde Firm understand how stressful and frightening the days and weeks following a car accident may be for you and your family. Our goal is to help relieve the stress and provide guidance and support while assisting you in determining the best way to recover compensation for your damages from the driver or another party who caused your accident.
Some of our past clients discussed how nervous they were right before their first appointment. A few of our clients told us that giving them a list of things to bring or tips for preparing for the appointment might have calmed their nerves. Since we are always searching for ways to help our clients, our New Orleans injury lawyers have responded.
Below are several tips and suggestions that might help you prepare for your free consultation with one of our lawyers. However, we want to stress one extremely important point. . .
You do not need to have every document or follow every suggestion we offer to receive our advice during your FREE consultation!
If your situation prevents you from taking any steps to prepare for your first appointment, do not worry. Our lawyers are experienced Louisiana personal injury attorneys who can work with any client in any situation. The important thing is that you keep your appointment so that you can learn about your legal rights; how to protect yourself from unfair insurance tactics; the money you might receive for your claim; and, how The Olinde Firm can help you seek a fair and just amount for your claim.
Gather and Bring Evidence
Louisiana is an at-fault state. In other words, you need to prove the other driver, or another party caused the crash. It can be difficult to think clearly immediately after a car accident; however, if you were able to obtain any of the following, you should bring the items with you to your free consultation:
- Photographs or videos of the accident scene, including the vehicles involved, the surrounding area, and any objects that could have contributed to the cause of the crash
- Contact information from eyewitnesses
- Notes that you wrote about the experience
- Copies of any text messages or email that you may have exchanged with an eyewitness (be careful what you say to anyone after a wreck, even a friendly witness, until you speak with an attorney)
- Photographs and videos for your injury and recovery
Gather and Bring Documents
There are many documents used in a traffic accident claim. You might have some, but not all, of these documents in your possession. Do not worry about obtaining documents that you do not have in your possession unless you can obtain the documents without causing undue stress for yourself or your family.
Examples of documents that can be very helpful during a case review with your attorney include:
- Copies of medical bills
- Copy of police/accident report
- Health insurance policies
- Automobile insurance policies
- Any correspondence, including emails or texts, between you and the adjuster, attorney, driver, or another party
- Car estimate repairs
- Evidence of lost wages
- Any other documents related to the accident, your injuries, or your losses
Questions to Ask Your Attorney
It is also helpful to write down any questions you think you might want to ask your attorney. Some questions that might be helpful to ask include:
- How long will it take to settle my case?
- Will I have to go to court?
- Do you think I have a case?
- What can I do to help increase my chances of success in my case?
- Who can I call if I have questions?
- Who will be contacting me from the office to discuss the case? How often will I receive updates?
- Are there any potential issues that the attorney sees that might be a problem?
Contact a New Orleans Car Accident Attorney for Help