According to a news report on, a New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) vehicle collided with a streetcar last week. The collision occurred mid-morning on March 28 at Napoleon Avenue and St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans’ Uptown neighborhood.

The crash investigation is continuing. A spokesperson for the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (RTA) encouraged all drivers to use caution when crossing streetcar tracks. No one on the streetcar was injured, but the officer suffered minor injuries, according to an NOPD spokesperson.

According to the RTA, 91 crashes involving streetcars occurred in 2017 resulting in five injuries. That number represents a decrease in streetcar accidents in 2016 and 2015. Officials state that most accidents involving streetcars occur when people are driving in the neutral ground either making U-turns or turning left.

Filing Claims for Injuries Caused by City Vehicles

When you are injured in a New Orleans automobile accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the driver who caused the accident. For example, if a driver turns left in front of you when you have the right of way, that driver is “at fault” for the collision. A driver who causes an accident is responsible for any damages that arise from that accident. Damages include medical bills, property damage, physical pain, lost income, and emotional distress.

However, what happens when the accident was caused by a city vehicle or involves a city vehicle? In the above case, both vehicles were government-owned vehicles. Thankfully, no one was injured on the streetcar, and the officer only suffered minor injuries. If a person had been injured in the accident, the person might have a claim against the city or a city agency. Though the person might have a claim against a government entity or agency for an injury, collecting on that claim can be difficult.

Claims against the city or a government agency are complicated and involve complex laws regarding sovereign immunity. Government agencies and entities are protected from some lawsuits and claims for injuries. However, injury victims may have a valid claim depending on the circumstances of the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney can review the case to determine if a claim should be filed.

Another problem is the short time injury victims have to file a claim. In many cases, the deadline to file claims against the city or government agencies is much shorter than the deadline to file claims against a person or company. It is very important that an injured person contacts a NoLA accident attorney as quickly as possible to discuss filing a claim for injuries.

New Orleans Accident Attorneys Helping Victims Seek Compensation for Injuries

If you have been injured in a traffic accident, we can help. For a free, no-obligation case review, call Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889. Our New Orleans injury lawyers offer free consultations for accident victims and their families.

Source: “St. Charles streetcar, NOPD vehicle collide in Uptown.” Beau Evans. Times-Picayune. 28 March 2018.