The second part of our blog addresses more common questions that clients ask about traffic accident claims. For questions about your specific car accident case, call The Olinde Firm for your free consultation.

  1. Should I agree to a recorded statement for the insurance adjuster for the other driver?

The insurance adjuster for the other driver does not represent you. The adjuster’s job is to obtain information that the company can use to deny your claim or to decrease the value of your claim. By providing a recorded statement, you are giving the adjuster the opportunity to ask questions without an attorney present to protect your best interest. Always consult with an attorney before you provide any statements to the insurance company for the other driver.

  1. Should I accept the company’s first offer to settle?

If you have not consulted with an attorney, we urge you to call our office for a free consultation before you agree to accept any settlement. In many cases, an adjuster will offer a quick, low settlement amount to entice you to accept the money and release the claim. However, once you release the claim, you cannot go back to the company for more money, even if you discover an additional injury.

  1. Can I receive money if I am partially at fault for the crash?

Yes, in some cases you can recover compensation even if you contributed to the cause of the crash. Under Louisiana’s comparative negligence laws, your compensation is reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you for the crash. However, partial fault does not bar you from seeking recovery of compensation for some of your damages.

  1. How long do I have to file a lawsuit for a traffic accident in New Orleans?

Louisiana’s statute of limitation for personal injury lawsuits related to a traffic accident is one year from the date of the car crash. If you do not file your lawsuit before the deadline, you lose your right to file a lawsuit against the party who caused your traffic accident. The deadline applies to all traffic accidents including crashes involving cars, commercial vehicles, pedestrians, trucks, pedestrians, and motorcycles.

  1. I cannot afford a New Orleans personal injury attorney. What can I do?

The good news is that we accept most cases on a contingency fee basis. Therefore, you do not need to worry about paying any fees upfront to hire an attorney to represent your interests in a traffic accident claim. If we do not recover money for your claim, you do not pay our attorney fees. Our attorneys offer a free legal consultation and no-obligation case evaluation, so it does not cost you anything to obtain legal advice from a compassionate and experienced NoLA personal injury lawyer. By taking cases on a contingency case basis, we make it possible for you to have legal representation regardless of your current financial situation.

Personal Injury Lawyers in New Orleans

Call Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to request a free consultation with a New Orleans accident attorney.