You cannot avoid every accident or emergency while you are on the road. The chance that you will encounter a dangerous situation, emergency, poor weather, or an accident exists each time you get behind the wheel of your vehicle. You may not be able to avoid something going wrong while you are driving, but you can prepare for an emergency by carrying emergency kits in your vehicle. Below are three kits that you can prepare yourself (or purchase a pre-made kit) so that you are ready for any emergency while on the road.
First Aid and Safety Kit
In the event of an accident or a breakdown, it helps to have certain items in your vehicle. You can purchase a first aid kit containing assorted items needed to attend to minor injuries at your local pharmacy or you can make your own by purchasing first aid supplies. In addition to first aid supplies, other items to include in your safety kit include:
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Water bottles
- Protein or energy snacks
- Window breaker/seat belt cutting tool
- Phone charger/portable battery charger
- Weather radio
If you require special medication, you may also want to include extra medicine in your kit, but remember to replace the medicine when appropriate so that it does not become out of date.
Car Maintenance and Repair Kit
You may not be able to make all repairs on the side of the road; however, having some essential items in your vehicle may help you if you find yourself on the side of the road without assistance.
Items that you should have in your vehicle include:
- Spare tire, jack, and tire iron. Learning how to change a flat tire is important because you may not always be able to get help.
- Tire inflator and sealer. You can purchase products such as Fix-a-Flat that can help you take care of a flat tire until you can reach a safe location to obtain assistance.
- Jumper cables because a dead battery can occur anywhere at any time.
- Keep important information including insurance information and roadside assistance information in your vehicle in case you need assistance. Do not rely on your cell phone for important numbers because your cell phone could be damaged or the battery could die. Write down important numbers and keep them in your glove box.
Comfort Care Kit
While these items are not necessary, you may find having them in your vehicle makes life easier, and it is more convenient than searching for these items when you need them:
- Paper towels and tissues
- Old rags or towels
- Blanket and small pillow
- Umbrella and raincoat/poncho
- Pen and paper
- Change of clothes and shoes
- Emergency cash (be careful to store money out of sight in a safe location)
- Garbage bags
- Extra diapers, wipes, and other baby/toddler items
Do You Need a New Orleans Accident Attorney?
If you are injured in a traffic accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries. It can be very helpful to have an experienced New Orleans accident attorney who can provide support, legal advice, and guidance at your side as you deal with insurance companies.
Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm can help you file your accident claim and fight for full compensation for your damages. Call our office at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to request a free consultation with a New Orleans accident attorney.