According to traffic accident information provided by the Louisiana State University for 2016:

  • There were almost 50,000 injury crashes in Louisiana resulting in roughly 82,000 injuries. This was an increase of 3.5 percent from 2014 and 15.7 percent increase over a five-year period.
  • Louisiana had 705 fatal crashes that resulted in 758 deaths. There is an average increase of 5.4 percent each year since 2011.
  • There were 21 accidents involving bicycles.
  • 98 motorcycles accidents occurred that year.
  • There were 42 tractor semi-trailer.
  • 128 pedestrians were killed in the state in traffic-related accidents.
  • There were 115 fatal crashes and 8,477 injury crashes involving senior drivers 65 years of age and older.
  • There were 212 fatal crashes and 20,796 injury crashes involving drivers between the age of 15 to 24 years.

Because you could be injured in a traffic accident, it is important that you understand some of the basic laws and rules governing traffic accidents in Louisiana.

How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit for Traffic Accident in Louisiana?

In most cases, you have only one year from the date of the crash to file your lawsuit.  This is a very short time; therefore, you should contact an attorney as quickly as possible after the accident to discuss your rights and options for filing a claim. If you fail to file a lawsuit before the expiration of the deadline, you lose your right to hold the responsible party liable for your damages.

Does Louisiana Have a Comparative Fault Law?

Yes, the state has a comparative fault law that can impact your right to recover full compensation. If you contributed to the cause of the collision, your compensation could be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you for the crash.

Damages in a Traffic Accident Case

Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to recover compensation for damages. Damages are divided into economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are your “out of pocket” costs associated with the accident, including medical bills, lost income, property damage, and other reasonable costs (i.e. travel expenses, medications, etc.). Noneconomic damages are the “pain and suffering” damages from the accident. Pain and suffering damages include your physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional stress. It also includes compensation for permanent disability, scarring, and disfigurement.

Do I Need an Attorney to Help Me?

No, the law does not require you to hire an attorney. However, a New Orleans personal injury attorney can help you fight for full compensation for your damages. The insurance adjuster is not working for you — the adjuster works for the insurance company. Therefore, the adjuster is doing what is in the best interest of the company. He is not obligated to explain your rights or tell you when you are receiving less money than your claim is worth.

Our New Orleans personal injury attorney is working for you. He is protecting your best interest and fighting for you to receive compensation for all damages. You deserve to have someone working to protect your best interest.

Contact Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm for a free legal consultation. Learn about your legal rights and your options for recovering money for your accident claim by calling (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889. You can request a free consultation with a New Orleans accident attorney.