Drivers in New Orleans will be re-routed as construction on a busy road takes place over the next two and half months. The City of New Orleans has approved construction on Bourbon Street that begins on April 24.

The contractor, Hard Rock Construction, LLC, plans to re-route river bound traffic from the 100 block of Bourbon Street to accommodate the road closure from Canal Street to the intersection of Iberville Street. Decatur and N. Rampart Streets are suggested as alternate routes during the Bourbon Street road closure. The project is part of the city’s French Quarter Infrastructure Improvement Project.

City officials caution drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and all others who travel near the construction site to use caution. Public safety is a major concern for everyone involved, and they encourage residents and visitors to take steps to ensure they remain safe when traveling in the area.

Cautions are Not Enough Sometimes

While a city or a contractor may not be liable if someone is injured because of intentional negligence, the city and a contractor can be held liable if they are negligent in maintaining a construction site. Road construction is a necessary evil that everyone using our roads must contend with at some time. It is important that cities and other government agencies maintain roads for the public. Government agencies have a duty to the public to provide safe streets for the public’s use. When government agencies breach their duty of care, they can be held liable for any damages arising from an accident.

In addition, work sites must be maintained in a safe manner to avoid accidents and injuries. Warning signs, special road markings, and security measures must be in place to reduce the risk of an accident in a construction zone. Failing to secure and maintain a construction zone may also be considered a breach of duty to the public.

Filing a Claim Against a Government Agency

Proving negligence on the part of a government agency can be difficult but not impossible. If you can prove the government agency was negligent and your injury is a direct result of that negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries. However, the rules for filing claims against the government are different from filing claims against private parties or companies.

For example, you may be required to file a notice of claim with the government agency within just a few weeks after the accident. Failing to file the notice of claim may bar your ability to recover compensation or file a lawsuit against the city. In any case where the city, state, or other government agency may be involved, it is always best to consult with a New Orleans personal injury attorney immediately. Your attorney may need to act quickly to protect your legal right to file a claim for your injuries.

Call a New Orleans Personal Injury Attorney for Help

Claims against government agencies are complex. You need an attorney with experience to help you right for your right to full compensation for damages. If you have been injured, don’t wait. Call Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm today for a free consultation.

You can reach our office by calling (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to request a free consultation with a New Orleans personal injury attorney.