Have you been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New Orleans? Are you struggling to pay medical bills for injuries you sustained in the accident? Do you have questions about medical bills in a car accident claim? If so, our New Orleans car accident attorneys can help.

Does the Insurance Company for The Other Driver Pay My Medical Bills?

If the other driver was at fault for the accident, his or her insurance company should pay your medical costs and other damages up to the limits of the insurance policy. However, you must first prove that the other driver caused the accident and that your injuries were sustained because of that accident. If you cannot prove liability, the insurance company is not required to pay your medical bills.

Unfortunately, insurance companies do not like to pay medical bills and other damages because this is in direct conflict with their goal — to make money. Therefore, even if the insurance company for the other party knows its driver caused the crash, it may not approve your car accident claim.

If it does approve the claim, it will try to pay as little as possible for your claim. This includes offering you a quick, low settlement before you are aware of the extent of your injuries to get rid of your case because it knows you need money. Don’t fall for this tactic. Call our office to schedule a free consultation with a New Orleans car accident attorney before you discuss your claim with the insurance adjuster for the other driver.

So, What Do I Do About My Medical Bills?

If you have health insurance, your health insurance provider will pay the medical claims according to your policy. However, it will have what is called a subrogation claim against any settlement proceeds. What this means is that your health insurance provider must be paid back from the proceeds of your car accident settlement. In some cases, we can negotiate a lower amount if the facts warrant such action.

If you don’t have health insurance, your medical provider may accept a letter of protection from your attorney. A letter of protection simply promises that the attorney will pay the medical bills out of the settlement proceeds before you receive any funds. This can help you receive the medical care you need while you recover and your case is being negotiated or litigated.

It can be overwhelming dealing with insurance adjusters, attorneys, and medical providers. Hiring an experienced NoLA car accident attorney can take some of the stress off your shoulders so that you can focus on your recovery. We understand the process of filing an insurance claim as well as the personal injury laws related to accident claims. Let us protect your legal rights while you take care of yourself and your family.

Call Now for A Free Appointment with A NoLA Car Accident Attorney

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, we want to help. Call Attorney Fred Olinde of The Olinde Firm at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to schedule a free legal consultation. You don’t have to face this alone; we are here for you.