The Times-Picayune is reporting that a three-vehicle crash on I-10 in Slidell, Louisiana claimed one life and resulted in multiple injuries. The accident was a head-on collision with one vehicle possibly crossing the median into the wrong lane and colliding with oncoming traffic.
Causes of Collisions Where One Vehicle Crosses the Center Line
There can be many reasons why a vehicle crosses the median and drives the wrong way. Some of these reasons are caused by negligence while others are a true emergency.
- Distraction – The driver may be talking on the phone, texting, or just not paying attention and crosses over into oncoming traffic.
- Improper passing – On a two-lane highway, a driver may pass a vehicle failing to see the approaching vehicle in time to avoid the head-on collision.
- Intoxication – A driver who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol can become disoriented or lose control of the vehicle.
- Car issues – If one of the car systems fail, the driver may not be able to control the vehicle to avoid a collision.
- Drowsiness – A driver may become sleepy while driving causing the driver to nod off and the vehicle drifts into another lane.
- Confusion – The driver may be taking medication or suffer from a mental problem that causes him or her to become confused and disoriented while driving.
- Slippery or icy road conditions – The driver may lose control of the vehicle due to lack of traction or traveling too fast for the conditions.
- Poorly designed roads – Intersections and roads can be poorly designed thereby contributing to a head-on collision. For example, traffic signs could be confusing or missing causing the driver to maneuver into oncoming traffic without realizing he or she is driving the wrong way.
Any of these situations can cause the driver to move the vehicle into the wrong lane and hit another vehicle head on.
What To Do If You’re Involved In An Accident Because Another Driver Crossed The Median
A head-on collision caused by one vehicle crossing the center line often results in serious injury to one or both parties. Some of these collisions result in a fatality. If you are one of the drivers involved, you need to seek the assistance of an experienced NoLA car accident attorney right away.
The first step is to seek medical treatment, even if you don’t think your injuries are severe. You’ll want to make sure to write down any details of the accident as soon as you can so you don’t forget anything important. Depending on the reason why the vehicle crossed the center line, the person responsible could receive a harsher penalty or the crash could be deemed an unavoidable accident. For instance, adverse weather conditions often result in a lower penalty compared to a driver who was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the traffic accident.
If you are the victim of a crash caused by another driver, you need to seek compensation for your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. Before you speak with other people about the accident, including insurance companies, select an attorney who will represent your best interest and who will advise you on how to proceed with a car accident claim. A car accident can impact your life for many years. Make sure you obtain the best representation available to protect yourself and your family.
Call a New Orleans Car Accident Attorney Now!
You have a limited amount of time to file an accident claim. If you fail to file your claim before the deadline, you lose your right to recover compensation for your injuries. Do not wait! Call The Olinde Firm now! Contact our office at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to schedule a free legal consultation with a New Orleans personal injury attorney.