Last week, a tragic hit and run accident in New Orleans took the life of a teenage girl.  NOPD was searching for the driver of a Nissan Maxima who fled the scene of the accident after rear-ending a Pontiac Grand Am and then slamming into a Dodge Ram Truck on Interstate 10 West near Bullard Avenue. The teenage passenger in the Grand Am died at the scene. The other occupants were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The two occupants in the truck were not injured.

What Should I Do If I Am In A Hit and Run Accident?

The steps you need to take after a hit and run accident do not vary much from the steps you would take in a collision with a driver who remains at the scene of the accident.  If you are hit by a hit and run driver, remain calm and follow these steps.

  • Contact the police and emergency medical services. Remain at the scene of the accident until police arrive. If you are able, make notes about the details of the hit and run accident while you are waiting on the police while the facts are fresh on your mind.
  • If you are physically able, take a few pictures of the accident scene. Even though the other vehicle may not have remained at the accident scene, having pictures of the area as it appeared at the time of the accident can be helpful.
  • Obtain the names and contact information for any eye witnesses to your hit and run accident.
  • If you do not need emergency medical assistance at the accident scene, see your doctor as soon as possible after the accident. It is important to document your injuries for your accident claim. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent after the collision; therefore, it is always best to be checked out by a doctor even if you do not believe you have been injured.
  • Contact The Olinde Firm to schedule a free consultation with a NoLA car accident attorney. We want to help you recover compensation for your damages in a hit and run accident.

How Can I Recover Compensation for Damages in a Hit and Run Accident?

In some cases, the police will identify the hit and run driver. You can file an accident claim against the driver’s automobile insurance as you would in any other type of motor vehicle accident. If the hit and run driver is never identified, you still may be entitled to receive compensation from your insurance company.

Even though you are dealing with your own insurance company, you may still need an attorney to protect your interests.

All insurance companies are in business to make money — even your insurance company. You are not dealing with your local insurance agent who might be a neighbor or a friend. You are dealing with the corporate adjuster who will treat your claim just like any other claim against the company. Protect yourself and your family by consulting with a New Orleans car accident attorney.

New Orleans Car Accident Lawyer

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, call The Olinde Firm to speak with an attorney.  Contact our office at (504) 587-1440 or 1-800-587-1889 to schedule a free legal consultation.