Have you been injured in a New Orleans car accident? Are you struggling to pay bills and recovery from injuries after an accident with a commercial truck? Has your loved one been injured due to another driver’s reckless or negligent behavior? When you are in a motor vehicle accident, it is a traumatic experience. You are probably anxious and worried about how you will pay for medical care and make ends meet until you can go back to work in addition to suffering the physical pain from your injuries.
The NoLA personal injury attorneys of the Olinde Firm can help. We aggressively represent our clients to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve for their losses and damages. Let us worry about the legal aspects of your car crash or truck accident while you focus on getting well.
What Should I Do After a New Orleans Car Accident?
If you are involved in car crash or truck accident in New Orleans or throughout Louisiana, it is good to know the steps to take immediately after the accident. What you do after a car crash or truck accident can affect your personal injury claim and the amount you receive.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention – Your health and the health of those with you is the most important thing you need to take care of after a New Orleans car crash or truck accident. Call 911 for emergency medical help if necessary. If you do not require emergency medical assistance, see your doctor as soon as possible. Even if you do not believe you are seriously injured, it is in your best interest to be checked by a medical professional. You could be suffering from a closed head injury, spinal cord injury, or other condition that you are not aware of right now. Putting off medical care could cause your condition to be worse.
- Call Law Enforcement – Remain at the scene of the accident and call 911 for law enforcement. You should receive a copy of the police report with the other driver’s information. If you do not, ask the officer or the other driver for the driver’s name, address, and insurance information. If the driver does not own the vehicle, ask for the name and address of the owner.
- Witness Information – Eyewitness testimony can be very important in a car crash or truck accident. Ask for the names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Photographs – If possible, use your cell phone or ask someone to take photographs of the accident scene including your car and the other vehicle. The accident could change significantly before your attorney has the chance to photograph the area.
- Refrain from Posting on Social Media – The attorney for the insurance company can subpoena your social media accounts. You may not be aware what you are posting could be used against you but it could hurt your accident claim. It is best to stay away from social media until you speak with your attorney and then follow his instructions regarding social media.
- Do Not Discuss the Accident with the Insurance Company – Never provide a written or record statement or sign a medical release or any other document for the other driver’s insurance company until you have met with a New Orleans car accident attorney. The insurance company will try to convince you to do this by saying it needs this information and/or documents to process your claim. It is NOT in your best interest to do this until you consult with an attorney because it could hurt your claim later.
- Contact a New Orleans Personal Injury Attorney – Our NoLA car accident attorneys are here to help with your motor vehicle accident claim. Contact the Olinde Firm by calling 1-800-587-1889 or using our online contact form. We want to begin working on your behalf to ensure you receive a fair and just settlement for your car accident claim; therefore, contact us as soon as possible for a free case evaluation. Our injury attorneys will protect your legal rights and fight against the insurance company to obtain compensation for your damages. Your best interest is our top priority — the insurance company does not have your best interest as its priority.